Los Angeles patients often visit the Joint Surgery Center of Excellence to ask about treatments for chronic hip pain. They want to know what they can do to reduce the pain and get back to the activities they love.
At the Joint Center of Excellence we offer a number of options for reducing and eliminating chronic hip pain, ranging from medication to surgery. The first step, however, involves identifying the cause.
Causes of Hip Pain
A number of factors can result in chronic hip pain. Los Angeles doctors typically begin by looking at patient history as well as conducting a physical exam and certain imaging tests. Some of the most common reasons for chronic hip pain include:
- Arthritis – Arthritis of the hip may occur due to a number of conditions, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis affects the hip by causing inflammation of the joint, which leads to degeneration of the cartilage.
- Bursitis – Bursitis refers to a condition in which the fluid-filled sacs that cushion the muscles and tendons become inflamed.
- Tendonitis – Tendonitis occurs when the tendons become irritated and inflamed due to overuse.
- Osteonecrosis – Osteonecrosis occurs when the blood supply to the hip gets cut off, causing the bone to die.
- Congenital Hip Defects – Congenital hip defects are defects that exist at birth. These defects often lead to misalignment of the joint.
Treatment for Chronic Hip Pain in Los Angeles
Once patients have determined the cause of their chronic hip pain, it is then possible to address the problem. Non-surgical options should be the first avenue of treatment for chronic hip pain. Los Angeles joint experts may begin treatment with conservative methods, such as behavior modification, rest, physical therapy, and anti-inflammatory medication. For many patients, these methods are effective.
For more severe chronic hip pain, Los Angeles patients may want to consider surgical options, such as hip arthroscopy. Hip arthroscopy is a type of minimally invasive hip surgery that uses a small, thin camera called an arthroscope to see inside the joint. Hip arthroscopy allows for much smaller incisions and reduced damage to the surround tissue.
There are many different kinds of surgical procedures that can be used for treating chronic hip pain. Los Angeles surgeons work with individual patients to identify the correct surgery for them. Some of the most common arthroscopic hip surgeries include:
- Synovectomy – a surgical procedure that removes an inflamed synovial lining in the hip joint
- Hip Joint Replacement – a procedure done to remove a damaged hip joint and replace it with a prosthetic
- Hip Dysplasia Surgery – these may include osteotomy and a number of other procedures that correct a deformation or misalignment of the hip
- Labral Tear Treatment – surgery done to repair a torn labrum, the cuff of soft tissue that surrounds the socket of the hip joint.
These are some of the most common hip joint surgeries, but ultimately the treatment path you decide to take will be dependent upon your particular circumstances.
Contact a Chronic Hip Pain Expert
Los Angeles and out-of-town patients alike have found that they don’t have to suffer from chronic hip pain in silence. The Joint Surgery Center of Excellence specializes in the latest minimally invasive treatments and techniques. Call us today to the get the answers to any questions you have about hip pain or to schedule an appointment. Our number is 888.318.2842.